2010-08-17

Weekly Rep... Really, do you still believe in that ?

I know, I know. The weekly reports are becoming less and less weekly already.
This is perfectly normal: these are a computer scientist weekly reports. As a
reminder, "Yes, yes, I'm coming in five minutes", in a CompSci's
mouth means "I'm currently doing a thingy, this won't take long I promise,
unless it does, and actually maybe I didn't really listen carefully to what you
said."

Advisor: 1; me: 0.  

Two weeks, then. A few things happened. First of all, as I was saying in my
previous post, I am a professional stomach-filler. But I must concede that I owe
a lot to my PhD advisor, who in this field is certainly one of the most
proeminent players. This reminds me: he came to visit us, my roommate and I, as
well as a former colleague of my roommate who happens to be about to work for my
advisor. As a matter of fact, my roommate and I share the same advisor -- except
for the fact that he graduated, and I have still to do it, grrr. Aaaanyway. Our
advisor invited my roommate, his former colleague and I to have dinner. This
happened in a nice restaurant, which proposes an all-you-can-eat buffet made
mainly of sea-food (shrimps, crab, and the like, with their deep-fried
variations). Between the pinot gris and the triple servings of
shrimps/crab/soup/etc., my stomach started to whimper.

Advisor: 2; me: 0.  

The next day, my advisor and I arrived near Dover, DE. Some people go to
this area to go to the beach, swim, and get a tan; others are there for the
Tanger's outlet malls. We hadn't brought our swimsuits, so I'll let you guess
what we did all afternoon. The same day, we met again with my roommate to have
dinner, this time in a japanese restaurant (in Wilmington, in case you plan on
traveling through Delaware -- but why would you do that ?). The food at the
restaurant was very, very good, although as is usual with the US and japanese
food, the specials which are offered are generally very far from "real" japanese
food (but fried clams are very good nonetheless). Oh and I almost forgot to say.
My stomach threatened to almost burst ihop-like.

I need a roof !

The end of the month is near, and so is the end of the lease (and the sublease I
am having...). It is high time I looked for another room ! Fortunately, the
school year is also about to start, which makes it far easier to find ads with
decent rooms (although some rooms I visited were worth of some really crappy
places you can visit in Paris -- you know, the ones which are very expensive and
very small at the same time...). So I found a place five minutes away by foot,
near the campus. The roommates look nice enough -- although only time will tell.
But I have a good feeling: they have white boards with equations on them in the
kitchen, and lots of music instruments litter the place. I kinda like it ! So,
let's sum up :

  • Find a roof: check
  • Find a bed: eeeerrr...
  • Find a desk/table: ahem...
  • Find silverwear, sheets, and ... : ok, ok, I got it. HEY ! ROOMMATE ! I really really need to shop for stuff !
This is about it

There. I think I said it all. Oh yes, for the geeks out there, the video gamers,
etc.: go and watch "Scott Pilgrim Vs The World". This is really a good movie,
which exactly targets my/our 8-16 bit game systems generation (think "Street
Fighter 2" and "Super Mario Bros" -- the 4 first episodes you can find in Super
Mario Collection on Super NES). It is not the movie of the decade though (not
even of the year), but it is really, really funny.

I also intend to go watch "The Expandables" very soon -- because, well, Jet Li,
Stallone, Governator, the Transporter, Bruce the die-hard, etc., ... This
promises to be tons and tons of (involuntary) fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment